The Empathy Effect: Countering Bias to Improve Health Outcomes
All health care professionals make judgements which can be harmful and negatively affect the establishment of therapeutic relationships. Fortunately health care providers can learn to mitigate judgments and effectively convey empathy to clients and patients. The Empathy Effect: Countering Bias to Improve Health Outcomes is a highly interactive workshop that introduces six essential techniques to express empathy and enhance communication. Participants are provided with an opportunity to practice these skills and techniques in a safe and structured environment through small group exercises, video enactments and role plays.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- List the three premises for empathy-based care
- Identify the elements of the IN GEAR model for empathy conveyance
- Identify two internal or external cues associated with interactions that invite judgement
- Name at least one counter cure to shift from a view of judgment to one of understanding
- Demonstrate at least two empathy conveyance skills
The Empathy Effect was developed by the Institute for Healthcare Communication.
This workshop is offered as a full day in person workshop or online as two - 2.75 hour sessions held one week apart.
Register for The Empathy Effect: Countering Bias to Improve Health Outcomes workshop