Support for People with Health Conditions
The Central East LHIN Self-Management Program offers free self-management workshops to empower people to take charge of their health, while living with health conditions like: diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, lung disease, and other chronic health issues.
Who can participate?
If you answer yes to any of these questions, our self-management workshops are for you!
- Are you feeling overwhelmed with your health?
- Are you newly diagnosed with a health condition, or have you been struggling for years with a condition?
- Do you want to connect with others who are living with similar challenges or who understand what you’re going through?
Living a Healthy Life Self-Management Workshops
- Free six-week workshops for adult patients and caregivers
- Developed by Stanford University, and are a Stanford Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
- 2.5 hours each week in groups of 10-16 participants
- Led by trained volunteer facilitators living with one or more chronic conditions
- Offered in the following languages: English, French, Cantonese, Mandarin, Tamil, and American Sign Language
- Available in:
All participants receive a free “Living a Healthy Life” resource book.
“I have been to a lot of workshops and clinics but it’s different. Here we get to share and support each other.” - Steve, workshop participant (gained support from others)
"It had been 12 years since I had been to a diabetic clinic. I was in denial until I got here. If I checked my blood sugar levels once a month that was record, now I am very aware of what I do. Now when I want a cookie I think about how it will affect me and if I decide on a cookie I will adjust the balance of my day.” – Shelly, workshop participant (learned to manage her diet)
“I used to try exercising and I hurt for days after. Now I understand that I have to do a little each day and build up to it. Now I am proud to say I am active everyday doing something.” – John, workshop participant (lost 11 lbs over the six weeks)
Getting the Most from Your Healthcare Appointment Workshop
Your health is important and you are the most important member of your health care team. That is why knowing what to do before, during and after your appointment is so vital. This free 1.5 hour workshop will provide you with information on how to prepare for your appointment, what questions to ask and how to make sure you understand everything before you leave. Setting an action plan and follow up are key to living healthy. This program was developed by the South West Self-Management Program.
If you would like to look for a workshop in your area, go to Workshop Registration or call 1-866-971-5545 for more information.